BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

puppy :)

♥ mood music ♥

Friday, December 19, 2008

My first train trip - will update periodically

6:30 a.m.
I'm lying in bed, after a restless night, when Ashley texts me from work. Apparently on her way to her job at the University of Oregon, she and her dad saw an LTD bus almost do a 180 in the middle of the road, nearly hitting their truck. Because of this, the Flocks will be giving me a ride to the Amtrak station at noon instead of me leaving my apartment at 9:30 a.m. and taking multiple buses to the other side of town while schlepping two rolling suitcases, a laptop case and my purse -- necessities for the next week split between Salem and Newberg. I quickly accept the offer and then tell her -- with some level of guilt considering she arrived at work at 6 a.m. to help shovel snow for the second time this week -- that I'm gonna go because I want a little more sleep.

10 a.m.
The trash is out, the dishes are done, my suitcases are packed and waiting in the living room. There is nothing left to do, and a little more than two hours until Ashley and her dad are scheduled to pick me up for my ride to the station. I hop online for a little while.

12 p.m.
Any minute now.

12:20 p.m.
I arrive at the station, lift my two ridiculously heavy suitcases -- packed this way so I wouldn't have to check anything -- out of the backseat of the truck and say goodbye to Ashley and her dad. I walk inside, go to the automated kiosk and scan the ticket confirmation email and pick up my ticket. Then I fill out three luggage tags for each of my suitcases and my laptop case and affix each tag to the appropriate bag. I'm not taking any chances. Then I take a seat on one of the wooden benches in the station. The room I'm in reminds me somewhat of the Newberg Post Office, except newer looking.

12:30 p.m.
I look out the window and happen to notice the board listing the arrival and departure times of the various buses and trains. Then I notice my train's late -- LATE?!? Yep. Amtrak's running about an hour late. Unlike my numerous experiences riding Greyhound, at least this time I know the train's late -- and about how much. I call my dad, who's scheduled to pick me up in Salem and my sister in Newberg in the same hour, and he decided to get Abi first. Then I call my mom.

12:35 p.m.
While I'm on the phone with my mom, it has started to snow. Not just a few small flakes either. Real, Polar Express kind of snow. It actually looks really pretty. I would have taken a picture, but I'm not close enough to a window, and I don't want to leave my computer unattended.

12:45 p.m.
A little girl, probably about eight or nine and wearing various shades of pink falls down near where I'm seated. Not surprisingly, she's wearing Heelys. Those things should be banned. Or at the very least, anyone should have the legal freedom to trip anyone wearing them in public buildings.

12:47 p.m.
Ashley texts me, after I texted her about my train being late. Apparently northbound trains are usually late because they have to let freight trains pass. Sigh. At roughly the same time, I discover a stray piece of tinsel from my tree on my jacket.

12:49 p.m.
The girl with Heelys is speed skating through the station. I really hope she falls again.

12:55 p.m.
I glance up from the computer screen and realize that it has stopped snowing...

1:01 p.m.
Good Lord. It's snowing and sunny AT THE SAME TIME. This is a prime example of Oregon's bipolar weather. Only "bipolar" doesn't even begin to cover it...

1:03 p.m.
Heely Girl's mom finally grabs her daughter by the wrist and leads her to a seat. Thank you.

1:10 p.m.
The bus to Portland is loading now. Sigh.

1:25 p.m.
There's an old Asian lady here wearing RUBBERS. I never thought I'd ever see those things in my life...I definitely didn't think people still wore them. Hers are clear and you can see she has shoes on underneath them.

2:55 p.m.
I'm on the train now, somewhere between Harrisburg and Corvallis. There are tons of interesting people on here... I text Ashley, who suggested I go to the sightseeing car. So I did...and now the train's kind of stopping...?

2:59 p.m.
WHY ARE WE GOING SO SLOW???

3 p.m.
Apparently there's a wine tasting in half an hour...too bad I'm not 21...lol just kidding.

3:01 p.m.
Still just crawling along...

3:05ish p.m.
Darn it. Firefox crashed. :( Now to restart...

3:10 p.m.
We're approaching Albany now...maybe I should consider going back to my seat soon...nah, a few more minutes won't hurt.

3:13 p.m.
I miss Eugene... :'(

4ish p.m.
I'm in Salem.

0 comments: