BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

puppy :)

♥ mood music ♥

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

See you later Mountain Dew...

Another Mardi Gras has come and passed, and we are now beginning the 40-day season of Lent. I have never participated intensely in this custom, and during high school I always thought of Lent as something "other people" did. But with the amount of self-discovery I've been doing during the past month, as well as the too-perfect timing of the fact that I am currently out of Mountain Dew, I have decided that I will be giving up Mountain Dew and energy drinks (not as big of a problem, although I do indulge in an Amp now and then) for the duration of Lent.

It's a significant sacrifice: I usually drink at least one can of Dew every day, often more. But I feel like the break will give me time to focus on more important things, allow for more self-discovery and improve the strained relationships I currently have with my friends. Hopefully I can come out of this a better person.

I know that the purpose of fasting is not to make a huge deal about it -- in fact, we are commanded to not "make it obvious" (Matthew 6:16) but I really felt like I needed to tell people, otherwise they wouldn't believe me. I also wanted people to know because I am in continual need of support as I work toward changing my life for the better. Any positive thoughts or prayer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.