BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

puppy :)

♥ mood music ♥

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Random inspiration strikes again. Slash, I think I feel a series coming on.

I awoke this morning (well, this afternoon...oops) to a non-functioning internet connection. After unplugging the modem several times, restarting my computer, all that fun stuff, I concluded that it wasn't gonna work for me anytime soon.

However, I still needed to do homework, so I packed up my stuff and headed over to campus to chill in the School of Music for a while.

Anyone who knows me reasonably well knows that I am a HUGE fan of the building that houses the University of Oregon School of Music. Built in the 1920s, the building recently underwent an extensive expansion/renovation project that resulted in the addition of two new wings (and increasing the size of the building by 50 percent) and the updating of existing facilities. Along with all the new amenities such as a spacious courtyard, student lounge, practice room suite, symphony-size rehearsal room and more, one of the main reasons I love this building has to be the atmosphere.

The lounge is a wonderful place to study or do homework because it's quieter than more public places such as the EMU, yet not as eerily silent as the Knight Library (which I've always found to be too quiet.) In addition, due to my involvement with the Oregon Marching Band, I rarely make a visit to the SOM without seeing at least a few friends, which adds that extra bit of happiness to my day. :) And there's usually at least a few people practicing at almost all times (the building is open Monday-Friday 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. for all students and community members, and 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. for music majors only) which adds just the right amount of background noise.

As strong as my love affair with the music building is, it's just one of a few place on campus that I feel deserve special recognition for being awesome. So I'm thinking about starting a short series of blogs in which I highlight my favorite places on the UO campus.

I leave you with a question: Have you hugged a musician today? (Screwing a musician is optional. :P)

0 comments: